- County road repair and maintenance
- County bridge repair and maintenance
- County anti-litter administration
Driveway Connection Instructions
During the stay at home declaration, in an effort to help mitigate the covid-19 virus our office is closed to the public and drive connection applications will be handled in the following manner:
- Download and print the Drive Connnection Permit.
- Complete application form, make sure to put the name of the person applying for the permit and/or the property owner’s name with phone numbers and the drive address.
- Permit fee is $100.00 per each permit, payable to sumner county highway department by check or money order only. Attach payment to permit application.
- Place application with the payment attached in the secured drop box at the front door of the sumner county highway department located at 1051 old hwy 109 north in gallatin between the hours of 8 a.m.-4:00 p.m. Monday-thursday. Get (2) two white survey flags from the holder below the drop box for each permit, these should be placed on either side of the area that the drive connection is to be located.
- Receipt for the application will be mailed to the address on the check/ money order, stormwater management will verify if the requested location is in a flood plain / floodway and if not then a work order will be generated for our area foreman to size the tile, we will call you with the information and the next steps of the procedure.
For any additional information you may call the sumner county highway department at 615-452-2632
Work on County Road Right of Way
Each road’s right of way is different; it is best to call our office to obtain this information.
A permit is required for any work being done on the county road right of way. Permit fee is $100.00 payable to SCHD. A bond will be set based on the scope of work. For more information, call the office at 615-452-2632. Download and print work permit.
Underground utilities maintenance and removal guidelines are available. Download and print list.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the right of way of a particular road?
A: Each road's right of way is different, it is best to call our office to obtain this information.
Q: What is the speed limit on a particular county road?
A: Each road's speed limit is different and several do not have a set speed limit, it is best to call our office to obtain this information. If the road doesn't have a posted speed limit sign, then the speed limit is assumed to be 55 MPH.
Q: Does a driveway connection require a permit?
A: YES. You will need to come by our office (1051 Old Highway 109N) and fill out the permit and there is a fee of $100.00 (Checks Only). You will be given two white flags to mark the driveway location. If this location has no TDEC issues, we will send out a foreman to size tile needed and will notify applicant size and type of the tile to purchase and install. Once installation is complete, applicant must contact Sumner County Highway stating they are ready for inspection for final approval. Applicants should keep thier copy of the permit and receipt as it will be needed when they go to Codes for a Land Disturbance Permit.
Q: Who picks up an animal carcass on a county road or road right of way?
A: The Sumner County Highway Department will pick up domestic and non-domestic animal carcasses the size of a dog and larger.
Q: Who takes care of Hwy. 109 and Hwy. 174?
A: The Tennessee Department of Transportation. Any road that has a number and is outside city limits is maintained by the state. The number for the local office in Gallatin is (615) 451-5822.
Q; What to do with your brush?
A: Sumner County Highway Department does not offer brush service.
Resource Authority 615-452-1114 accepts trash
Hours M-F 6 am - 5 pm Sat. 7 am - 4 pm
Call 1-877-350- 2876 for a burn permit.
Hours: M-F 8 am - 4:30 pm