• County road repair and maintenance
  • County bridge repair and maintenance
  • County anti-litter administration

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the right of way of a particular road?
A: Each road's right of way is different, it is best to call our office to obtain this information.

Q: What is the speed limit on a particular county road?
A: Each road's speed limit is different and several do not have a set speed limit, it is best to call our office to obtain this information. If the road doesn't have a posted speed limit sign, then the speed limit is assumed to be 55 MPH.

Q: Does the highway department install driveway "tile" connections?
A: YES. Call our office (452-2632) and let them know the location where the tile needs to be installed. Have that location marked with stakes. The foreman in that area will go out and see what size tile needs to be installed. That foreman will contact you with the size needed. It is your responsibility to purchase the tile and have it delivered to your property. You will then call and let our office know that it is available to be installed. The foreman will then put you on his schedule to be installed.

Q: Who picks up an animal carcass on a county road or road right of way?

A: The Sumner County Highway Department will pick up domestic and non-domestic animal carcasses the size of a dog and larger.

Q: Who takes care of Hwy. 109 and Hwy. 174?

A: The Tennessee Department of Transportation. Any road that has a number and is outside city limits is maintained by the state. The number for the local office in Gallatin is (615) 451-5822.

Q; What to do with your brush?

A: Due to budget restraints beginning 1/1/2015 Sumner County Highway Department will no longer provide brush pick up service

Resource Authority  615-452-1114 ($25.00 a ton for all yard waste)

Hours M-F 6 am - 5 pm   Sat. 7 am - 4 pm 

Q; How to I get a burn permit?  

A: Call 1-877-350- BURN (2876)

Hours: M-F  8 am - 4:30 pm (No Charge - Retain number until burn is completed)

Contact Information

Judy Hardin, Road Superintendent

1051 Old Highway 109 North
Gallatin, TN 37066

Phone: (615) 452-2632
Fax: (615) 452-7335

Office Hours: Mon. - Thurs., 6:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.