Stormwater in Sumner County

What is Stormwater?

Stormwater is, in essence, just what is sounds like: water from a storm. Any precipitation that falls from the sky, including rain, hail, and snow, is considered stormwater.  Please watch this video for further explanation.


Please find the Fiscal Year 2019 Annual Report HERE. Public comments are welcome. The report will be discussed at the September 24, 2019 meeting of the Sumner County Planning Commission.

The Sumner County Land Disturbance Permit Checklist and application have changed, effective July 1, 2019

  • The new Checklist may be found HERE
  • The New Application may be found HERE

Storm drains are NOT connected to the sanitary sewer system or wastewater treatment plant.  Their purpose is to carry rainwater away from developed areas to prevent flooding.  The water from rainfall, snowmelt, or irrigation that flows into storm drains goes directly into area streams and lakes.

How can this be a problem?

This stormwater can pick up debris, chemicals, and other pollutants as it flows into the storm sewer system and empties directly to streams, rivers, and lakes.  The polluted water is called “nonpoint source pollution” which is the primary cause of water quality problems today.

How does this affect us all?

  • The waterbodies where stormwater flows is used for providing drinking water, swimming, and fishing.  Polluted water can have many adverse effects on people, animals, and plants.
  • Polluted stormwater can affect drinking water sources.  This can affect human health and increase drinking water treatment costs.
  • Bacteria and other pathogens can wash into swimming areas.
  • Hazardous wastes like auto fluids, pesticides, and solvents can poison aquatic life.  People and land animals can become sick from eating diseased fish or ingesting polluted water.
  • Debris--plastic bags, 6-pack rings, bottles, and cigarette butts--washed into waterbodies can choke, suffocate or disable aquatic life like birds, turtles, and fish.
  • Sediment can cloud the water, destroying aquatic habitats.

How we all can help?

  • Read the following pages with everyday suggestions for our household, yard, and vehicles that will minimize stormwater pollution. Click here to read more about what you can do and click here to listen to what you can do and click here for more.
  • Dispose of trash including cigarette butts in trash cans.
  • Never pour waste in storm drains.  Make sure motor oil and antifreeze goes to centers that accept them. Click here for recycling locations.
  • Report illicit discharge (illegal dumping of motor oil and other water contaminants into stormdrains, streams, etc.) to our office:

Illicit Discharge & Connection Stormwater Resolution
The purpose of this resolution is to provide for the health, safety, and general welfare of the citizens of Sumner County through the regulation of non-stormwater discharges to the storm drainage system to the maximum extent practicable as required by federal and state law. 

Stormwater Management Resolution

To view the Sumner County StormWater Management Resolution--click here

Illicit Discharge Hotline
To report unlawful dumping of substances such as motor oil or other contaminants that flow into storm sewers or streams in Sumner County, please call (615) 451-6097 and leave a detailed message.  

Land Disturbance Permits
A Land Disturbance Permit is part of our MS4 (Stormwater) Program.  It is a permit that allows you to begin excavation on your property.  We issue Land Disturbance Permits for developments, residential projects, and utilities.  It will be required that you have a Land Disturbance Permit if the soil disturbance is one (1) acre or more OR less than one (1) acre but the site is part of a large common development or subdivision.

If you need a Land Disturbance Permit for a development, please call our
office at (615) 451-6097.

Forms for a Land Disturbance Permit
If you need a Land Disturbance Permit for your project, please print and bring the following paperwork to our office. You can download the forms from the website.

  1. Application for a Land Disturbance Permit
    Residential - click here 
    Greenbelt Land Disturbance Permit - click here
  2. SWPPP (Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan)--click here 
  3. A copy of your proposed site plan including erosion control measures
  4. NOI (Notice of Intent)--click here
  5. Proof of certification for TDEC Level 1 Training Class (recommended)
  6. A check for $300 written to Sumner County Planning and Stormwater. This is not due until The Land Disturbance Permit is approved and picked up in our office.

No permits will be issued until erosion control measures are in place and have been inspected. These must be completed prior to inspection:

  • Install a construction entrance 6” deep of gravel with a geo-textile underlayment, a minimum of 50 feet in length, and 12 feet wide. Gravel shall be between 1 ½ - 3 ½ inches in diameter. The geo-textile underlayment shall be a woven nylon fabric with strength of 200-300 pounds.
  • Install a silt fence on any slopes and to protect a creek, stream, ditch, or neighbor’s yard. The silt fence must be trenched 4”-6” into the ground and backfilled.

Must be maintained during building process:

  • 1. The jobsite must be inspected by the contractor at least twice a week, and after rainfall events of ½” inch or greater. The Stormwater Inspector will inspect the jobsite twice a month and document on a stormwater inspection form. 
  • The Land Disturbance Permit must be posted onsite, near the entrance and stored in a weather tight container accessible at all times. 

TDEC General Permit information

Contact Information

Sumner County Stormwater Management

Joe Phillips, MS4 Manager, EPSC Level 1
Gina Hutson, MS4 Inspector/Coordinator, EPSC Level 1
Paige Brazzell, MS4 Inspector, EPSC Level 1

355 N. Belvedere Dr., Room 202
Gallatin, TN   37066

Phone: (615) 451-6097
Fax: (615) 451-6074